Carolina® Authentic Parboiled Medium Grain Rice has all the great quality you’ve come to expect from our trusted brand, crafted perfectly for making traditional Spanish paella dishes. As its name suggests, the Non-GMO Project Verified grains are partially boiled in their husk, which helps to maintain some of the natural vitamins and minerals found in rice, similar to other whole grains such as brown rice.
These grains are also made without MSG or added preservatives and naturally vegan and vegetarian. Learn more about the ins and outs of this rice and a few preparation tips in this guide to parboiled rice.
From sofrito to socarrat, perfecting paella is no easy task — so we’re taking some of the guesswork off your plate: utilize these cooking tips while preparing our Traditional Paella recipe. Best of all, our Carolina® Medium Grain Authentic Paella Rice lays the essential groundwork for that mouthwatering traditional Spanish dish:
– Rich Color: The saffron isn’t the only reason the paella boasts that golden color— parboiled rice naturally has a yellow hue.
– Complex Flavors: This rice variety tastes slightly nutty and, best of all, the rounded grain absorbs tons of flavor. Saturated with all those spices, the rice develops a slightly chewy texture as it doubles or triples in size .
– Versatile textures: Having that chewy texture essentially means that this rice retains all the flavor without drying out, making it difficult to overcook. But you can toast it; in fact, since it holds so much flavor, paella rice produces the quintessential socarrat — the flavorful caramelized crispy rice.
Use 2 cups of liquid for 1 cup of rice — a ratio of 2:1. Add rice — with any additional ingredients — after bringing your liquid of choice to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed. We do not recommend cooking this product in the microwave.
Boil flavor right into our rice by using broth rather than stock as you prepare this surf and turf Traditional Paella with Chorizo & Shrimp. And, if you’re looking for a twist on the traditional recipe, we’ve got that covered too.
– For a spicy kick, we take the traditional Spanish dish south of the border in this Mexican Style Seafood Paella.
– This Roasted Harvest Veggie Paella adds delicious fall flavors to please both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
– Using both kimchi and Spanish seasonings, this Bacon and Kimchi Paella with Chicken is a standout Paella!
These medium grains are specially created, but not exclusively, for paella. This rice has that extra starch that will naturally give your favorite recipes that rich, creamy texture. Try it as a hearty rice bowl base, oven-baked casserole, delicious chicken and rice skillet dinner, or use it as a filling in your go-to burrito or enchilada recipe. It also makes a wonderful addition to a dessert rice pudding.
If you’re loving the nuttier taste and firmer texture, check out other parboiled varieties like this Extra Long Grain Carolina® Gold Parboiled Rice. Whereas Paella needs the starchier medium grain to get that irresistible creamy texture, long grains are better for dishes such as rice pilafs, salads or fried rice.
16 oz (454g)
¼ cup (45g)
|Rice||1 cup||2 cups||Entire Package|
|Water||2 cups||4 cups||4 ½ cups|
|Yield||3 cups||6 cups||8 cups|
|Servings ( ¾ cup cooked)||4||8||11|
**Add olive oil and salt, if desired.